top of page

CHURCH HISTORIES

BETHLEHEM MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

            We are not unmindful of the grave responsibility, and so great a task in compiling the History of Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church.

            Due to negligence in keeping a printed account of all events, we are unable to give an account of many.


“A LEGACY TO REMEMBER”

            The noble men and women of yesterday of the Bethlehem M.B. Church have left us a legacy to remember.  It must give a nostalgic feeling to those who must take the torch of this legacy to the next milestone of Christian progress in our generation.

            The challenge and the responsibility for this task, should be upon the shoulder of every member of this church.

            The heritage of this church must be more than just a legacy to remember.  It must become a legacy to cherish and preserve.

            We must keep the faith of our predecessors in the field of Christianity, preserving the legacy and passing it on to the succeeding generations.



HISTORY OF THE BETHLEHEM BAPTIST CHURCH FROM 1870

            The Bethlehem Baptist Church as organized in 1870 by Rev. Elex Owens as the leader.  These are some of his followers and helpers:  Bro. Courage Moore, Bro. Peter Winfield, Bro. Henry King, Bro. Henry Winfield, Sis. Flora Moore and many others I have failed to mention.

            Rev. Owens had faith in God, he and his little band of Christians—with axes in one hand and the sword of faith in the other, went into the forest—cut the timber—hauled the logs, and gave us the first Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church.

            The first church was about 600 yards from this present spot on what was known as the Scott Place; but later the Boon Place.  The first building was a log hut with slab floors and seats.  Rev. Owens must have been an inspired gospel preacher, with great courage.

            In the year of 1881, Bro. Henry Winfield—with his broad vision of that day—bought from Mrs. F. Forman the present seat and built a frame house.  During this period Rev. Pompy Brown, Rev. Jordan and Rev. George Ornie served as pastors.  Some of their followers were: Bro. Nat Edwards, Bro. Benjamin Jones and Bro. T. Shepherd.  These people had that religion that we sing about, that old time religion—because there were no nights too dark nor days too stormy for them to make the journey to church to work for the Master.

            Next came Rev. Keglar and Rev. Leadbetter.  These were some of the faithful members who served with them:  Bro. Byrd Caffey, Sis. Emma Whitaker and Sis. Mattie Hamilton.

            The first frame building was destroyed by fire about 1907, then, later it was destroyed by storm and again by storm. 

            Then in 1900 came the late Rev. T.F. Newsom—with his Moses-like leadership.   Rev. Newsom served as pastor for 20 years.  I shall mention a few of his followers:  Bro. Dave Valentine, Bro. Dick Prier, Bro. Colonel Farmer, Bro. Carey Hamilton, Bro. Evan Duvall, Sis. Ann Hocker, Bro. Ben Bowers, Bro. John Jones, Sis. Bell Brandy, Bro. Harrison Vaughn, Sis. Virginia Garret and many others I shall not attempt to mention.

            One of our beloved deacons, in the person of Bro. Nat Edwards, was working on the Bethlehem Church with Rev. T.F. Newsom and some other deacons.  He had a fall and was fatally injured.  He said to his pastor and brethren to carry on the work.  “Don’t stop.  I did what I could for the church.”

            Today, we thank our great leader who gave his life; who died in the faith, and paved the way for us today.

            Let us work hard, and be thankful to God so we can say when this life is over “I have done my best.”

            From 1900 – 1941, there had been 9 pastors.  From 1941 to 1968 Rev. D.R. Robinson served as pastor until the Lord called him from labor to be with him.  During that time there were many improvements including building a new church in 1948.  Some of his helpers were Bro. Sanders Gatlin, Bro. Leroy Douglas, who was the grandfather of our present Deacon Fred Douglas, Bro. Tim Rucker, Bro. Charlie McNeal, Bro. Willie Johnson, Bro. Frank Jones, grandfather of Deacon Douglas Jones, Bro. Wilson Brown, Bro. Elijah Heggs, Bro. Spencer Brown, Bro. J.W. Lockhart and Bro. Que Dickerson.

            In 1969, Rev. A. Slayton was elected pastor, he served one year.  In 1970 God blessed us with Rev. John Frazier.  Many souls were added to the church.  Rev. Frazier served 26 years until his health failed.  From 1996 – 2010 Rev. E. Turner and Rev. Elton Ivey served as pastors.  Some names that appeared in this history were great leaders.  We admire them for inspiring us to have courage to follow the path where our ancestors have led.  There are many others who helped to blaze the trail that we failed to mention, however, we are grateful for them too.

            In October 2010 the Bethlehem Church was blessed with our present pastor, Rev. Ossie Thomas.  He came with a vision and mission to build God’s Kingdom up here, teaching and preaching God’s word to his people.  Pastor Thomas is frequently invited to other church programs to preach God’s Word.  There have been 5 members reinstated to the church, three members were added by Christian Experience.  We have gone from bi-weekly to weekly service.  The Bethlehem Church has been blessed with a new roof, changes to the front entrance and a new air conditioner.  Deacons during this time are Brother Fred Douglas and Brother Frank Taylor with Sister Pearl King serving as Clerk.

            2014 saw Rev. Jimmie Lockhart and his church of Camden, Arkansas bring a benefit program to Bethlehem.  Rev. Jimmie Lockhart is the son of former deacon J.W. Lockhart, Sr.

            Improvements in the physical structure of the church continued with storm doors being added, interior painting being done and new air conditioners being installed.  New paneling in the vestibule and sanctuary was completed.

            A highlight of 2015 was the wonderful Fifth Anniversary celebration of our Pastor, Reverend Ossie Thomas and his wife, Sister Queen Thomas.  The anniversary sermon was brought by Reverend James Brooks of the Rising Sun M.B. Church in Forrest City.  We had such a large turnout that there were not enough seats.  We thank God for this blessed day.  A Facebook page for the church was set up during 2015 as well as purchasing new chairs and tables for the kitchen.

            We have lost two members since our 2015 Church Anniversary, Sister Viola Robinson, who was the widow of former pastor, Rev. D.R. Robinson and Sister Martha Taylor.  We were also blessed with two new members and one member returning.

            The year 2016 saw the blessings of our Holy Father continue. Seven new members were welcomed.  The Wallace-Daniels Family joined the Edwards-Lockhart family in donating $500.00 for the upkeep of our cemetery.  Again, people came from far and wide to commemorate the 6th Anniversary of our Pastor, Reverend Ossie Thomas and wife, Sister Queen Thomas.  Brother Edward Jones was ordained as a deacon in March 2017 giving us three deacons in total.  Two of our youth, Sister Destiny Taylor and Brother Joe Taylor are taking on larger roles in the church, assisting in the church announcements and devotion.  The choir stand was re-done and trees were cleared away.  Reverend Spencer Brown, Bethlehem member and longtime Pastor at St. John and New Hope, and a giant in the community, passed away in early 2017.  Long-time member Sister Flora Meredith passed away in 2017 after a long illness.

            Our country’s first African American President, Barack Obama, saw his term end in January 2017 after serving our country well for eight years.

            Security cameras were installed in 2018, the bank note was paid off and the church received a donation of new pews and a heater.  Other goals for the year are replacing the church steeple, extending the choir stand, buying a new air conditioning system, and getting the gravel road paved.  The year 2018 saw two former members rejoin and three new members accepted.  Sis. Clara Neely was selected to serve as Church Clerk.  We were filled with sorrow in April 2018 as we lost another of our long time members, Sis. Pearl Jones.

            We pray that God will continue to bless us and thank him for our rich heritage.

WALNUT GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH

Special Note:  A large portion of this document was taken from the program of the 92nd Church Anniversary as compiled by the late Sisters Willa Mae Howard and Beatrice Carter.  A copy of that program was given to Sister Barbara Hightower by the late Reverend Ernest R. Gaines, the late sister Rosie Gaines and the late Brother J.W. Livingston (who served as clerk for many years).  It was re-written somewhat on June 10, 1979 and read aat the celebration of the church’s 113th anniversary.  There also have been some addition each year for the observation of the church’s anniversary.  It reads as follows:


                As we reflect on the times that will be noted in this history we immediately think of the words of the songs “Rough Side of the Mountain” and “It’s a Shame How god’s People Have Changed.”  Through the grace of our Heavenly Father, we have reached another milestone on our journey.  We pause today in recognition of the this Anniversary of the Walnut Grove M.B. Church.  We who are alive and present here today in yet another event to be recorded in tomorrow’s history feel proud and wonderfully blessed to be part of such a monument an such a moment.

                This church is the beginning of Baptist [black churches] churches in Lee County and it is the oldest.  We are told that Walnut Grove was organized just after the Civil War, and just after (the end of) slavery in the year 1866.  With faith in God, a mind to serve the Master’s cause, Reverend Burns Polk, was deeply moved by the Spirit to organize the band.  In its early stages this church began as a prayer meeting, from house to house then to a brush harbor three-fourth miles west of Marianna, then to a building build on a site sold by the founder and organizer, Reverend Burns Polk.  After the beautiful site was obtained and a building was erected a name for the building became a question.  We are told that Sister Octavia Eldridge said she was only a girl, but she looked around and saw so many walnut trees in grove-like fashion (there is still one of those trees still standing on the back lawn today) she suggested that they name it WALNUT GROVE.  From that this church got its name from one of its young Christian women.

                As we can see, many of our forefathers launched this “old ship” out on a sea of time.  The sail has not always been a smooth one.  Members have come and gone to other churches to help build them and returned back.  The contrary winds of time have tossed this ole ship to and fro, however, in spite of the rough waters and many hardships today, she is still afloat.  We can truly say we believe Christ saw WALNUT GROVE down through the years of time when he said “upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”  Those dear mothers and fathers who organized the church stood up under all kinds of besetments but with faith and prayers they truly made it.  These faithful servants worshiped God in the “old time” way as they sat on the raw boards propped up with blocks of wood.  They, the same as we are striving, and have gone on record as HEROES for God and His cause.  We are truly proud and thankful for those sainted pioneers who rose with the sun and labored as it crossed the heavens and when it sank behind the western horizon, they cheerfully headed home, tired but happy in the consciousness of a job well done.


                To those dedicated Mothers and Fathers who organized the church we bow today in humble submission.  Some of them are, Reverend Burns Polk, organizer and first pastor; Brothers Marshall Rozell, Henry Bennet, H.F. Major and Henry Colber.  Sisters were Lucy White, Mattie L. Edwards, Miriah Johnson, Alice Soloon, Cornelia Govan and Elen Colber.

                Pastors in the organization and those who have served faithfully are 1) Reverend Burns Polk, 2) Reverend W.M. Lockhart, 3) Reverend Patrick Price, 4) Reverend Artic Taylor, 5) Reverend Pompy Brown, 6) Reverend R.E. Bryant, 7) Reverend W.M. Otey, 8) Reverend J.H. Abernathy, 9) Reverend E.M. Mosley, 10) Reverend Clim Williams, 11) Reverend H.R. Stevenson, 12) Reverend M.L. Johnson, 13) Reverend O.B. Jones, 14) Reverend J.D. Jordan, 15) Reverend Earnest R. (E.R.) Gaines, who helped this church make double history by serving 65 years.  For a brief period near the end of those years, Reverend Lee Edward Eggerson, Jr., the grandson of Reverend Gaines served as Assistant Pastor.  He left to take another position. 15) Reverend Edgar Starks, 17) Reverend Lee Edward Eggerson, Jr. was elected pastor in the year 2001.  After 14 years he left to accept another position. Walnut Grove members went in prayer to petition God to provide a new Shepard to lead his sheep.  After much prayer the members were led by God’s Holy Spirit in a church meeting on November 27, 2015 to vote unanimously in favor of Rev. Calvin Smith, Jr. as Pastor.  On the 5th Sunday in November Reverend Smith preached his first sermon as our Pastor and was installed on December 27, 2015 as the eighteenth (18th) pastor of the Walnut Grove M.B. Church.

Deacons who served and Trustees who served (in the early years) are as follow:  Brothers Jessie Crenshaw, Charlie Tenson, Dennis Northal, Allan White, Frank Westbrooks, Frank Edwards, Fred Otey, In 1894 the following were added, Jake Moore, Jessie Dixon, Jeff Durham, Henry Major and I.V. Dozier.  In 1917 Brother A.H. Howard was added and in 1923 Will Green and Richard Griffin were added.  The year 1925 saw Brothers J.C. Cohn, O.G. Thomas, Grover Vassar, Fred Carr, M.S. Roe, A. Johnson, A.J. Ramsey, John Wells, Booker Taylor and W.E. Owens.

The dates for the election and appointment of deacons and trustees elected at other dates are not available due to the lack of keeping good records, however, we have the following: Brothers Luke Rodgers (deceased), Joe Anderson, Sr.  (deceased), Martin Fuller, (deceased), Andrew Hunt (deceased), Sam Jordan (deceased 2006), Spurgeon Farmer (deceased 2006), Clemmie Taylor (deceased 2015), Robert Palmer (deceased 1997), Roosevelt Turner, Sr. (deceased 1997), W.C. Carpenter, Sr., Oliver Hightower, Arthur L. Turner, Willie Conley, Rommie Hamilton, Cornelius Forney (deceased), Johnnie C. Evans (crowned in 1977), Charley Hale (deceased), James Wilson, (crowned in 1978, deceased), Alex Walton (crowned in 1978, deceased), Burley McDaniel, Larry Duvall (deceased), Willie Farmer (deceased 2006), Cliff Bracy (deceased), Marvin Evans, David Williams, Edward Vanpelt, Jessie Bracy, Joe Dewitt, Bill Ray, Bernard Turner (crowned in 2016) and Khi Evans who served as a Junior Deacon and was later called to the ministry.

Other trustees who served were,, Frank Allison, Jr., Wesley Anthony (deceased), Benjamin Anthony, Sr. (deceased), Alvin Rome [sic Roane] (deceased in 1985), Silas Davis, Sr. (deceased), W.W. Tolbert (deceased) and Joe Dewitt, added in 2008.

Persons who have and are serving in other auxiliaries are too numerous and time will not allow us to stand here and read all of the names, but we do have records of these, Sunday School Superintendent and Presidents of Auxilaries.

As the world turned and time changed the church became faced with many problems whose only solution was pointed to moving the church to a more desirable location.  God was surely in the plan of moving the church, for in the late winter of 1949 a severe hail storm damaged the roof beyond repair.  The pastor and officers thought it best to think of a new church.  The services were discontinued at the church and were held in the Masonic Hall for quite sometime.  In 1950 a new structure was begun at Beal Street and Highway 79 in Marianna.  This building was completed in 1951.

During the year 1973 the building was remodeled and bricked.  New pews were also purchased.  In the early spring of 1997 the inside of the church was remodeled with sheet rock, new light fixtures, curtains, etc.

As the years passed the roof began to leak in various areas and although repairs with new shingles in places was being done o try to solve the problem.  No success was made.  After the election of Pastor Calvin Smith, Jr., he along with the Deacons and members decided to have a new metal roof installed.  During the year of 2016 the metal roof was installed and paid in full.

Let us thank God for what He has done and pray that this “OLD SHIP” continue its voyage into the realm of time.  Bringing souls into the “Haven of Rest.”

May Walnut Grove stand in years to come as it has stood these many years, a living monument to a Savior who died that all might live.

ADDED INFORMATION.  In 2019 the congregation began a clean-up of the Walnut Grove cemetery, uncovering many headstones of past church members and members of the Lee County community.

Get In Touch
Church Histories: History
Young Volunteers

PETER'S CHAPEL MB CHURCH

Peter's Chapel's History shows that it was founded in 1849 or 1850, which would make it the oldest black church established in Lee County, Arkansas.

It has been said that the church was established around the year 1849 or 1850, and is the oldest church in this area that is still having service.

In the year 1935, the church building was torn down at a place called Peter's Landing, and moved six and a half miles southeast of Brickeys, Arkansas. Throughout the years, there has been several pastors that have lead this flock. The past pastors were as follow: Rev. Jerry Bentley, Rev. Author Moore, Rev. M. Taylor, Rev. Thurman Austin, Rev. Richard Taylor, Rev. Burton, and Rev. E.H. Harris.

The Deacons serving were: Bro. Chance Cummings, Bro. Willie Cummings, Bro. Charlie Ruffins, Bro. Summer Grant, Bro. Robert Carter, Bro. Julius Herman, Bro. Buck Qualls, Bro. Robert Tanner, and Bro. Anthony Grant.


In the year 1947,God sent our shepherd Rev. G.H. Hall, which served for over 55 years. He resigned as pastor in 2005. Deacons serving under Rev. Hall's leadership were Bro. Anthony Grant, Bro. Walter Jackson, Bro. Elijah Peals, Bro. T.C. Miller Sr., and Bro. Jimmy Haynes was crowned deacon in 1969, and was added to the deacon board. In 1978, Bro. Ray Peas Sr. was added to the deacon board. Sister Amelia Fields served as secretary. On the 3rd Sunday in February of 1992, Bro. J.D Miller was crowned deacon.


In 1995, Bro. Ray Peals Sr. was called into the ministry and took leadership of the Caldwell Baptist church, in Vandell, Arkansas, where he still remains as pastor. Deacons serving were Bro. T.C. Miller Sr. and Bro. J.D. Miller. Even in failing health, Bro. T.C. Miller Sr. continued to fill his obligations as deacon.


During Rev. Hall's leadership, the church family has overcome many stumbling blocks. We faced a period when we were to the point of closing our doors. The roof was taken down, and the building was unstable. Pastor Hall felt the only way to continue having service was to rebuild the church, but through the faith of our pastor Rev. Hall, and our deacon Bro. T.C.

Miller Sr.; the church was fixed.


The church made many improvements; indoor bathrooms, carpet in the sanctuary, new pulpit furniture, and new air conditioners. The church continued to grow, and in 1997 God blessed the church with new members. We were able to form a choir again. God is truly good.


In 1999, God called home two mothers of the church, mother Della B. Miller, and mother Lela Peals. In 2000, our own dedicated deacon, Bro. T.C. Miller was called home to rest. In 2001, deacon J.D. Miller announced his calling into the ministry and was ordained in the same year.


He was made associate pastor in 2003.


In 2006, Rev. J.D. Miller was installed as pastor of the Peter's Chapel MBC. Under his leadership, God has blessed this church home. Deacons serving were Bro. Chester Johnson.

Bro. Charlie Fields, and Bro. Earl Ellis.


We thank God for all he has allowed us to accomplish. Pastor Miller works hard to make sure this flock is taken care of. We continue to grow.


The church has been blessed with a kitchen, new ceiling fans, light fixtures, windows and curtains.  The inside of the sanctuary has been painted. God has blessed us with a church van. We have also remodeled the restrooms and the foyer. A walkway and handicap ramp was also added to the church. We have two faithful deacons serving, Bro. Charlie Fields, and Bro. Chester Johnson.


We praise God for all that he has done and all that he's going to do. We praise Him for our accomplishments and for all the blessings that are yet to come. This house is dedicated to God.

SHEPHERD GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH

The Shepherd Grove M.B. Church, located 5 ½ miles east of Brickeys, Arkansas in the Council Community, was organized in 1876, in what was commonly called a “brush harbor.”  It was named by Mrs. Rebecca Hamilton whose husband served as one of the first deacons. 


This year (1988) Shepherd Grove M.B. Church celebrates its 112th Anniversary.  For these past 112 years the church has been pastored by only eight pastors.  Reverend L.A. Anderson was the first pastor to be elected to serve as shepherd to the flock when the church was organized in 1876, a position he held until his death.  Under the leadership of pastor Anderson, a building was erected and an organizational structure was devised that would stand the test of time.

The first deacons consisted of the following brethren: Bros. Bill Hamilton, Westly Hamilton, Mitchel Hamilton, Billy Ligen, John Milton, Jim Brooks and George Dennis.  The first trustees were Bros. Johners Felton, Ed Johnson and J.W. Fort.

Reverend Richard Taylor, Sr. served as the second pastor and the third pastor was Reverend D.V. Morris.  The second group of deacons elected were as follows:  Bros. Will Bennett, Peter Holman, Monroe Harris, Jack Peters, Selfe Howard, Earnest Rash and Robert Gammon.

In 1925 the church offered the pastorship to the Reverend Richard Taylor, Jr. who accepted the call and led the church for the next forty-two years.

There have been three buildings on the property belonging to the church.  The second church building was erected in 1910.  The third and present building was erected in 1947 under the leadership of Rev. Richard Taylor, Jr.  Under his leadership, Shepherd Grove became a prosperous and outstanding church in the community.

Deacons elected to serve during this time were: Bros. Will Traylor, Louis Fort, George Matthews, Dock Little, Robert Moore, Clinton Mobley, James Bennett and Lonnie Little.  Trustees added were: Bros. Will Bennett, Earnest Rash and Charley Roame.

The Shepherd Grove M.B. Church (Sunday) School has been under the leadership of only four superintendents.  They were Elex Jones, Reverend R.A. Shacklefort, Earnest Rash who gave loyal and unselfish service for (a) half century until his death, and presently Charlie Holman.

There have been four Secretaries: Reverend R.H. Shacklefort, Lewis Fort, Clinton Mobley, who served forty years, from 1938 until he moved from the state of Arkansas, and the present secretary, Mrs. Reeda M.Crawford.

Four persons have served as Treasurer over the past century: Jack Peters, Peter Holman, Mrs. L.C. Lathrop, and presently serving Bro. Lonnie Little.

In 1967, following the death of Rev. Taylor, Reverend Frank Jones, who had served as Associate Pastor under Reverend Taylor, was elected as the pastor.  He served eleven years until his death in 1978.

The sixth pastor to be elected was Reverend Dan Strother who served until his retirement in 1985.  Under his leadership Bro. Charlie Holman was elected as a deacon.

The seventh pastor was the Reverend E.G. Tucker, a young minister who showed great promise as a shepherd; but was called to another flock in another city.

The eighth and newly elected pastor is the Reverend Hal Johnson, a young man we look to with great anticipation and hope as we, the Shepherd Grove M.B. Church Family celebrates 112 years in God’s service.

The Shepherd Grove M.B. Church has had an illustrious history these past 112 years; years filled with a true spirit of cooperation and Christian fellowship.

From 1876 to 1968 there have been 8 pastors, 23 deacons; 2 superintendents; 4 secretaries; 6 trustees and 4 treasurers.  The pulpit nor any of the offices has ever been declared vacant for reasons other than death.

NEW HOPE M. B. CHURCH HISTORY 

New Hope Missionary Baptist Church which was organized in the year 1877 is an offspring of the Hemsphire M. B.  Church of Aubrey.   New Hope MB Church was organized by Belby Clark, Lewis Robinson, E. D. Thomas, and R. C. Hinton with a membership of 15.  The first services were held under a brush arbor.  The first pastor was Rev. D. L. Jordan and, under his leadership, the first building was constructed.  

In 1921, another building was constructed which was later remodeled in 1951.  In December of 1975, the New Hope MB Church building was undergoing a major renovation when, unfortunately, the church was destroyed by fire.  The pastor and members pledged monies to rebuild.

The new church building was constructed by our pastor, Rev. Spencer Brown, along with other members including Bro. Alexander Hansberry and Bro. John Y. Smith. In May of 1976, the building was completed and, although, the pews had not yet arrived, Rev. Brown, decided that the day of the church’s anniversary was a good time to move into the new church.  So, after Sunday School on the second Sunday in May, Rev. Brown instructed the members to pick up their chairs to take to the new church and he led the caravan from the old Carver School building, currently God’s House of Prayer, which had been used while the new church was being constructed.

In February 1996, the church burned again.  Who said that lightening doesn’t strike in the same place twice?  Well, maybe not lightening, but we know that fire does.

The Springfield M. B. Church, under the leadership of Rev. A. J. Franks Jr., opened its’ doors to us and we worshipped in their sanctuary until our church was rebuilt yet again.

Rev. Brown and several members including Deacon Alexander Hansberry and Bro. John Y. Smith went to work again to rebuild the church.  The New Hope Church Family was blessed by many friends during this rebuilding process including Rev. Howard Heyward and the Myrtle Baptist Church Family of Connecticut who raised money and personally presented it to Rev. Brown and the New Hope Church Family.  

For 145 years, God has blessed this congregation through good days and bad days.  Many souls have been saved and many souls have gone to be with the Lord.

On January 18, 2017, The Lord called his servant and our pastor, Rev. Spencer Brown, home.  For over 50 years, New Hope Baptist Church had been under the leadership of Rev. Brown.  On the Sunday after his transition, January 22, 2017, the pastoral chair was veiled and remained veiled until The Lord sent us a new pastor.

On December 13, 2017, Rev. Fredric Clay Smith was elected as pastor of the New Hope M. B. Church and, on January 28, 2018, the pastoral chair was unveiled.   Rev. Fredric C. Smith was installed as the pastor of the NEW HOPE M. B. CHURCH on February 25, 2018.

Throughout its 145-year history, New Hope M.B. Church has been under the leadership of sixteen (16) pastors: Rev. D. L. Jordan, who served for 26 years; Rev. Alex Norment, Rev. John Clark, Rev. Carey Hobbs, Rev. Archie Robinson, Rev. Ishamel, Rev. W. C. Clark, Rev. J. B. Keys, Rev. O. B. Jones, Rev. J. W. Gibson, Rev. W. B. Bryant, Rev. J. A. Harper, Rev. C. B. Smith, Rev. E. V. Toney, Rev. Spencer Brown, who served over 50 years; and our current pastor, Rev. Fredric C. Smith.

There have been many deacons that have served the New Hope M. B. Church.  Our current deacons are Bros:  Clinton Hansberry, Robert Harrison, Frank Scott, Ronald Scott, and Gregory Williams.

We need not record the many changes for the duration of 145 years for it would only tell you that Jesus was here yesterday, He is here today, and He shall be here tomorrow.  It will tell you that we have had days of sunshine and days of rain; we have been up and we have been down; we have stood together and we have been divided; we have seen a heavenly vision and we have been perplexed with the devil; but we’re still on the road to glory, for we believe that the darker the night, the brighter the day; the bitter the cup, the sweeter the joys; the rougher the road, the greater the satisfaction when this journey is completed. And this our church history submitted on this 8th day of May in the year of our Lord 2022.


REV. FREDRIC C. SMITH, PASTOR

SIS. BERNICE HILL, CLERK


Church Histories: About

OUR HISTORY

Committed to Making a Difference

The Improvement Association of East Arkansas (IAEA) has been at the forefront of making a difference in children’s lives since 2000. Located at the intersection of community and life, the IAEA is a life-striving journey that builds on the richness and power of lifelong values. We are providing young people the values and skills they need to become exceptional community leaders.

Get In Touch
Church Histories: History

Upcoming Events

Church Histories: Events_Multiple

©2018 by Improvement Association of East Arkansas. Proudly created with Wix.com

bottom of page